About the Author
Donald Kirk is the author of 10 books on Korea, Okinawa, the Philippines and the Vietnam War. He wrote this for InsideSources.
- Trump Is Betting on Americans’ Health
- U.S., N. Korea and the Virus — Different Approach, Similar Results
- Misreporting North Korea
- Trump Is Responsible for America’s Faltering
- U.S. Intel Still in the Dark on Kim Jong-un’s Status
- Lessons in Battling COVID-19
- Issue No. 1 in Trump Campaign — COVID-19
- Last Flight From Washington
- Don’t Accept the Peaceful Scene in the U.S.
- The NRA and the Coronavirus
- During Virus Threat, U.S. Military Mostly Out of Action
- The Trivial Must Not Overshadow the Seriousness of Coronavirus
- In the U.S., Adapting to a New Normal
- Virus Adds To America’s 2020 Turmoil
- N. Korea Can’t Fight Virus, But It Can Launch Missiles
- In North Korea, a Great Wall of Secrecy
- U.S. and China, According to Mike Pompeo
- The Power Behind ‘Parasite’
- Reviving Fears of ‘Yellow Peril’
- Donald Trump Has A ‘Thing’ For Dictators
- Ambassador’s Comments Raise Concern in South Korea
- The Military Relationship Between Iran and North Korea
- U.S.-Iran Confrontation Raises Concerns in N. Korea
- Assassination or Decapitation? U.S. Gets Kim Jong-un’s Attention
- Slim (but Possible) Chance of Reconciliation on Korean Peninsula
- China’s Influence on the Koreas — It’s Complicated
- U.S. Avoiding Human Rights Issue in Talks With N. Korea
- ‘Parasite,’ a Gripping Commentary on Life in Korea, Elsewhere
- Anxiously Awaiting a Trump-Kim ‘Gift’ Exchange
- Japan’s Abe Embraces Nationalism
- At ASEAN Summit, Missing China Loomed Over Busan
- Donald Trump’s Asia Demands
- Impeachment Drama Overshadows U.S. Foreign Policy
- South Korea and Japan Need Each Other
- A Weakened Trump Can’t Count on Friendship With Kim Jong-un
- N. Korea’s Mount Kumgang Has Lost Its Charm
- Pro-America Sentiment in S. Korea Is Largely Ignored
- Will Trump Betray S. Korea Next?
- Brexit Continues to Be Easier Said Than Done
- Should U.S. Accept That N. Korean Nukes Aren’t Going Away?
- Impeachment Overshadows U.S.-N.Korea Talks
- S. Korea Should Welcome Defectors, Not Pander to Kim
- Trump on North Korea — Confusion Abounds
- A Historical Comparison — Korea and the U.S.
- Bolton’s Exit Is Happy News in North Korea
- A System and Society Rife With Bribery, Payoffs
- South Koreans Have Doubts About U.S. Support
- Philippines Toothless in Quarrel With China
- As South Korea’s Leader Turns Cheek, North Ramps Up Insults
- U.S. Owes Explanation for Forgotten Korean Massacre
- Hong Kong Protesters Find Few Supporters in Korea
- Korea vs. Japan
- Brexit Resonates Around the Globe
- U.S.-U.K. ‘Special Relationship’ Is Strained
- Trump’s Crazy Stories
- A Trump-Kim Photo-Op at Panmunjom?
- After 69 Years, Still Waiting for a N. Korean Apology
- Former S. Korean First Lady Was a Force Behind the Scenes
- Koreas, China and Tiananmen
- Japan and South Korea Have Shared Goals
- South Korea Needs Former Leader to Re-Emerge
- South Korea Needs Former Leader to Re-Emerge
- North Korea’s Nuclear Issue Isn’t Going Away
- Little Is Known About Korean Massacre
- Enemy No. 1 Is All Home-Grown
- Russia and N. Korea — a Little History
- A Korean Memorial
- Trump-Moon Summit Almost an Afterthought
- Raid on N. Korean Embassy Suggests Trouble in Store
- Words of Wisdom From Ban Ki-moon
- Lesson From New Zealand — No One Is Safe
- S. Korean Attack on Journalist Totally Inappropriate
- Rebellion in North Korea Not Likely
- On North Korea, Trump’s Playing A Losing Game With His Critics
- Trump-Kim Aftermath — Not a Failure
- North Korea Is Far From Being Another Vietnam
- ‘Trump Doctrine’ Vs. ‘Nixon Doctrine’
- India Fears U.S. May Abandon Friends
- Another ‘Undeclared’ N. Korean Missile Base? Ho-Hum
- A Second Trump-Kim Summit? Don’t Bet on It
- Will Trump Fall for Kim’s Scheme?
- Fearless Forecasting on the Korean Peninsula
- Mattis Departure Is Good News for Kim Jong-Un, Bad News for Korea Policy
- Railroading to North Korea
- ‘Human Rights’ Is a Conversation Stopper in N. Korea
- All Aboard on the Korean Peninsula
- North Korea Is the Sideshow
- Why Okinawans Fiercely Oppose New U.S. Military Base
- Report on N. Korean Missiles Raises Concerns in U.S.
- Canada Has Gone to Pot; Demand Is High, Supply Is Low
- Now We Can Get Back to Work With North Korea
- U.S. Under Attack From Within
- While the West Talks, North Korea’s Workers Suffer
- A Moment of Truth Awaits Donald Trump
- Is MbS the Kim Jong Un of the Middle East?
- Any Hint of Humanitarian Reform in North Korea Is Fake
- Pompeo-Kim Meeting Fails to Resolve Differences
- Kavanaugh News Pushes Korea Into Background
- Could The North Korea Nightmare Be Ending?
- Lots of Talk but Little Progress From Korean Summit
- Trump Aides Worry About Another Summit With Kim
- Moon-Kim Summit Will Be a Test for South Korea’s Leader
- Bolton’s Fanciful Theory on Dealing With North Korea
- Why the Sudden Silence on Human Rights in N. Korea?
- Expect N. Korea to Try to Cash In on Remains of Americans
- Second Trump-Kim Summit Is a Possibility
- Pompeo Errs by Citing Vietnam as a Role Model for North Korea
- Time to Think Seriously About Trade War Ramifications
- Shifting U.S. Military Role in South Korea
- Mattis, Pompeo Policy Differences on Korea
- Post-Summit, Little Has Changed on the Korean Peninsula
- Little Follow-Up From North Korea on Summit Promises
- Little to Show for U.S.-N. Korea Summit
- Who’s Paying North Korea’s Summit Tab?
- Something’s Up on the Korean Peninsula
- Will Trump, Kim Meet? Here’s Our Best Guess
- Uncertainty Abounds in Wake of Summit Cancellation
- Misleading Nuclear News From North Korea
- ‘Libyan Model’ Won’t Work in North Korea
- China Is the Force Behind Korean Diplomacy
- Eyes Are Turning Toward Panmunjom for Kim-Trump Summit
- Even After Progress Between North and South, Challenges Lie Ahead for Trump Korea Summit
- Dream of Peace Lives On in Korea
- Is the U.S. to Blame for the Massacre on Jeju?
- Is Trump Misreading Kim’s Statement on Nuclear Program?
- The Difficult Dance for the U.S. Ahead of the Korea Summit
- Ruckus at 38 North
- From Korea to the Mideast, No Good Options If War Happens
- U.S. Intellectuals’ Blind Love for China
- U.S. Trade War Pushes China Closer to N. Korea
- U.S., S. Korea Differ on N. Korea Nuclear Program
- What’s Behind Kim’s Visit to Beijing?
- Koreas Brace for Hard-Line John Bolton
- Mike Pompeo, Fact and Fiction, and North Korea
- Skepticism Abounds in Advance of Korean Summit
- U.S.-North Korea Summit — What Next?
- In Need of a Ticket? Deal With the Russians.
- Momentum for Korea Talks Stalls
- Questions Abound As Ivanka Trump Visits South Korea
- NBC’s Conflict of Interests at Olympics
- Decision Time for Korea Decision-Makers
- A Showdown With North Korea
- Cruz Talks Tough on North Korea
- U.S. Casts Wary Eye Toward North Koreans at Olympics
- U.S.-Chinese Trade Relations Deteriorating
- Gazing at the Korean Crystal Ball, Post-Olympics
- After Olympics Detente, What Next for Koreas?
- ‘Strategic Ambiguity’ Prompts Guesses About U.S., North Korea
- North Korea and ‘Darkest Hour’
- From Asia to the Mideast, Trump Is Isolating the U.S.
- To Strike or Not to Strike?
- A Wise Choice for Ambassador to South Korea
- Just How ‘Intelligent’ Is Michael Flynn?
- Trump-Tillerson Rift Spotlights Uncertainty in U.S.
- A Guessing Game on the Korean Peninsula
- A Missed Opportunity in Korea for Trump
- Trump Misses Opportunity With North Korea
- Trump’s Diplomatic Challenge in China
- War of (Bland) Words From South Korea
- Potential Nuclear-Free South Korea Alarms U.S.
- Japan Divided Over Any Revision to Its ‘Peace Constitution’
- Wishful Thinking in Advance of Trump Visit to S. Korea
- On Korea, These Two Dotards Are Out of Their League
- Trump — Crazy Like a Fox, or a Madman With Nuclear Codes?
- S. Korean Leader Ridiculed at Home for Closeness to U.S.
- A Proliferation of ‘Declarations of War’
- Trump and Evangelicals (It’s Class Warfare)
- Aftermath of Trump Speech on North Korea
- Off With Kim Jong-un’s Head?
- On North Korea, Trump Is the Wild Card
- Bombard North Korea With Information From the Sky
- Odd Encounter With Priest in S. Korea
- North Korea Dashes South’s Hopes for Better Ties
- On North Korea, Washington Has No Clue
- U.S.-N. Korea Rift Widens While We Focus on Trump-Russia
- Chaos in the U.S., and All in the (Trump) Family
- Trying to See the Future of IT
- Tense Time for the Koreas
- Korean Peace Treaty Is a Bad Idea
- Warmbier Death Is Just the Latest in Long String of N. Korea Torture
- Fantasy of N. Korea Conference: Sanctions, Bad; Talk, Good
- U.S.-Korean Relationship at Stake
- Honeymoon or Hangover in South Korea?
- North Korea Puts Strain on U.S.-South Korea Ties
- What Next for South Korea’s New Leader?
Posted May 26, 2020 by Michael Graham
Posted May 26, 2020 by Oliver McPherson-Smith
Posted May 26, 2020 by Ronnie Shows
Posted May 26, 2020 by James Huffman
Posted May 26, 2020 by Donald Kirk
Posted May 26, 2020 by Randy Hicks
Posted May 25, 2020 by Kim Haas
Posted May 25, 2020 by Jason Stevens
Posted May 22, 2020 by Michael Graham
Posted May 22, 2020 by Christopher Maidment
Posted April 28, 2014 by Derek Khanna
Posted September 24, 2014 by Shawn McCoy
Posted February 12, 2015 by Britt Christensen, Ph.D.
Posted April 28, 2016 by Shawn McCoy
Posted July 30, 2015 by Bill Greener III
Posted June 16, 2016 by Carter Dougherty
Posted November 06, 2016 by Shawn McCoy
Posted June 09, 2019 by Michael Graham
Posted January 12, 2017 by Connor D. Wolf
Posted October 01, 2014 by Shawn McCoy